At least 15 good reasons to prefer the extra virgin olive oil:
1. It protects against the risk of arteriosclerosis
2. It protects against diseases of the biliary tract since it increases the secretion of bile
3. It promotes the absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K)
4. It remove the toxins
5. It protects the functionality of the liver
6. It promotes the pancreatic activity
7. It stimulates the metabolism
8. It helpsthe digestion
9. It lowers the rate of cholesterol
10. It prevents the skin dehydration
11. It promotes the absorption of calcium
12. It helps fighting against constipation
13. It has antioxidant effects, due to the presence of free anti-radicaland thus it retards aging
14. It prevents or limits myocardial infarction, some forms of cancer, osteoporosis
15. It has diuretic, laxative, febrifuges, stomach-inflammatory effects
The beneficial effects of olive oil on human health have been known since ancient times. Hippocrates recommended oil in cases of ulcers, and in ancient Rome it was said that the use of olive oil would benefit the health and allow humans to live longer.
The nutritional properties of oil are determined by the particular characteristics of composition. Oil, besides being very rich in vitamin A and vitamin E, is formed for 90% saturated fat acids andmonounsaturated fat acids (oleic acid) and polyunsaturated (linoleic acid). Thanks to the combined presence of acids and antioxidants (such as vitamin E, polyphenols and tocopherols), extra virgin olive oil may help to block the activity of free radicals, like the chemical compounds responsible for cells aging.
The presence of significant levels of vitamin D in olive oil allows a good intake of calcium in the intestine and a consequent good activity against bone decalcification in elderly people.
Thanks to its high digestibility it is considered a good antioxidants and vitamins food element.
In addition to this, it is known that regular consumption of olive oil may help to prevent colon and breast cancer, but also heart disease. It protects the body from arteriosclerosis, thanks to the presence of oleic acid that reduces the phenomenon of blood clotting and thus prevents the occurrence of thrombosis.
Extra virgin olive oilis also a natural analgesic. It contains a substance that “simulates” the same analgesic effect of ibuprofen, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory. Just 50 grams of oil per day is an equivalent to 10% of the recommended dose of ibuprofen as a painkiller for adults.